Thursday 13 February 2014

Choreography Workshop 11/02/14

In todays choreography workshop, concentrated specifically on the RSVP Cycle as a way of choreographing.

R- Resources
S- Scores
V- Valuaction
P- Performance
 
 
We got into groups of four and were instructed to find a place to complete the RSVP principles, and create some dance material.
 
My group decided to stay in 221 to complete the task, which at first I was apprehensive about; due to us being in their the majoirty of the time, I felt this may become a restriction. However, after looking and going through the principles and what they consist of one by one, I noticed and utilised things I havent before.
For example, I focused on the curtains:
- their structure... can be widened, shortened, lifted.
- ways of moving with it i.e. under it, through it, around it.
- perspectives... being close to it can provide a sense of chlaustrophobia, being away from it can make them seem harmless, being behind them can make you feel mischevious and sneaky.
- sounds they provide
- imaginitive possibilities... opposite of the saying 'walk into the light' e.g. evil, mysterious, dangerous.
 
We then looked at common themes that occured when I provided my account of looking at resources and others in my group provided theirs from being in a different area in 221.
 
Our score was then produced which focused around darkness and restriction.
 
Material then started to be produced with our use of lighting, utilising the curtains in different ways, positioning of the audience to enhance the restriction and isolation, and introducing a variety of sounds i.e. clapping, walking softly then with force, shaking the curtains etc.

 
I really enjoyed the workshop as it made me see the studio in a different way and broadened my mind to possibilities that I didnt think were there.
The RSVP cycle has provided me with confidence and new ideas for choreographing the duet as it is a structure that allows material to be produced by lossing at things that you would usually overlook and take for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment