Wednesday 19 November 2014

Instant Composition 17/11/14

Today I had Polly for this session, and the main focus was upon giving a partner graphic in trios.

I worked with Gabby and Melissa from the third year, and the graphic concentrated mainly upon the upper half of the body e.g. mapping out the clavicle, getting under the shoulder blades, identifying the bones within the arms and hands, then the muscles etc, until eventually the support of the 2 people giving the graphic will enable the person receiving it to come o their feet with their eyes closed and relinquish weight to be able to move around in a different way to perhaps we would normally move. Eventually the two people supporting the receiver will completely loose physical contact to allow the mover to explore and play with their bodies at that particular point, although the other 2 people still stay present to ensure the mover is safe.

Giving the graphic:
- I don't enjoy the responsibility of another's body and therefore safety. However, it was interesting to feel and discover another's bones and muscles as everybody's are differently positioned and shaped.
- It was a delight to see another relinquishing weight and really giving up their bodies to allow them to move in a different way
- Being aware of another's injury made me feel cautious and I would therefore hold back when applying pressure to that area.
It was hard to perform the graphic when the receiver doesn't relinquish weight easily, as you cannot progress throughout the procedure if they keep returning to the original state of having tension in the muscles.

Receiving the graphic:
Due to my anxiety disorder I have a fear of losing control, and therefore I automatically assumed that this graphic would take away the control of my body, which made me feel apprehensive on taking part. However, after Melissa was the receiver she assured me that the 2 people performing the graphic can only have as much control as you allow them to have. This made me feel much more comfortable and keen to take part. I preferred the first part of the graphic of where my bones and muscles were being mapped out and acknowledged, in comparison to the 2nd part where I was on my feet with my eyes closed as this felt very alien whilst moving around.

No comments:

Post a Comment