Sunday 16 March 2014

Duet: Choreography Research

After the 'work-in-progress' we had which provided us with feedback on what we had produced so far for our duets, me and Deborah were told to watch work by Jerome Bel, who is a french choreographer and dancer. I had already done some research on him for our 'placing practise in context' work, but decided to do some more and see if it can assist me when choreographing.
 
Many articles and information that I found on the artist, described his work as "non-dance", such as 'The Show Must Go On.':
 
 
However, I know that as my time on this course has grew, my open-mind has simultaneously: I have become more open to what is considered to be 'dance' after particpating in exercises in choreography workshop lessons, improvisation/instant composition lessons, and watching work by a variety of artists, including Liz Aggiss. What me and Deborah have produced, some may not consider to be dance, however, both of our performers move through the tasks they have been given and embody themselves in its nature, much like the performer's in Jerome Bel's work.
 
We began the Duet assignment by agreeing we were lucky to have the only male/female duet to choreograph with. We therefore looked at in depth the work we briefly watched in Choreography Workshop by Rosemary Lee: 'The Suchness of Heni and Eddie'. The work addresses the issue of assuming a stereotypical relationship between a male and female in space together. Me and Deborah said we also wanted to challenge this assumption. The interview I found shows Rosemary Lee's processes and ideas, and how she concentrates more on age differences than gender differences:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment