Thursday 27 March 2014

Improvisation / Instant Composition 24/03/14

Today was Nicola's first session back with us, but was a shorter session due to our group and Polly's group going to watch Katye's class show us what they have been working on in their sessions.
Nicola first told us to go outside and collect 3 movements that we see people do as they go about their every day lives. My 3 movements were:
- folding the arms
- brushing your fringe out of your face continuously (due to the wind)
- pointing

We then came back in and also performed those movements for ourselves. After making associations such as: folding arms = protection, cold, angry. pointing = curious, instructive... We paired up and exchanged with a partner what we had. Then choosing the words that stood out for us, we used them as our guidelines / instructions to perform our movements with and make a sequence together out of them. By being true to the words we had chosen, we managed to create a sequence that asked questions and created associations. By watching each others performances we then used our associations with another's duet and made another version of there's, for example: me and my partner watched another duet and for me it demonstrated a 'class system' with an ill poor person and a rich ignorant person, so we created something from this.

I would have loved to have done the full class today instead of I being a shorter version as I was amazed at how much material could be created from such a simple task. The pedestrian movements we collected transformed into something that suggested a variety of associations and meanings, and then those associations and meanings created something else, which I found fascinating.
I'm sad these sessions are now over, but I am grateful I have a new knowledge of choreographic techniques and approaches and am excited to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment